Sunday, 16 August 2026

The A-Level Results Day experience


This Thursday was finally A-Level Results Day. I wasn't really feeling nervous at all (aside from very few sporadic moments of crisis) until the few days before it - likely because there were more and more people around me bringing it up. It didn't help when everyone was so sure I would get it. While, yes, it was nice to know that they all thought so highly of me, it was making me think more about what would happen if I didn't get in. I couldn't help but feel like my only option was to get in, or I'd have let everyone down; I wish everyone had just said they wished me luck and would support me no matter the results.

I also had a major problem on Results Day: I hadn't been able to hear out of my ear since Monday evening.

Mostly (entirely) my fault, as - for some backstory - when I shower, I normally tip my head to the side to let the water run into my ears (which I know you're not meant to do), but for my left ear, it wouldn't run out when I tipped my head to the other side; I would have to essentially force it out. So I decided to use my handy earwax cleaning tool and started cleaning my ears (which I know you're not meant to do). I did my right ear first, as I knew the left ear was going to be the real deal! But when I started, I wasn't getting much, so I started going further into my ear. Which is when the wax became compressed against my eardrum. Bugger. So I massaged the side of my head to loosen it (?), and I could hear again! So I went back to it. Same problem again; no worries! Only there were worries. I couldn't undo the damage I'd done.

So I started using Otex olive oil drops, and I saw online that it was going to get worse before it got better, but I thought, surely it would be better for Results Day! It was not.

Enough of my gross ear troubles; I have an appointment booked for Tuesday to get it sorted, thankfully.

Actual Results Day arrived, and I woke up at a crisp 5:50am - no alarm, just natural wake-up! So I decided to redo my hair. I, surprisingly, didn't feel sickeningly ill about receiving my results like I did when I got my GCSE results. But I was annoyed as my family wanted to leave at 7:15am for my college, which is 20 minutes away. So, surprise surprise, we got there at 7:30ish. To my surprise, though, we could already queue up for our results. My friends arrived with their families shortly after me, but wouldn't push in front of the people to get their results with me. Whatever, I guess... It just meant I got to celebrate me getting into my dream university on my own, since my parents couldn't stay in the queue with me by that point.

When we were finally let in, I was annoyed to see that W, X, Y, and Z were all grouped together, whereas every other letter was singular. I understand doing it for X, Y, and Z, but why W? Anyways, didn't take too long, and I was out, waiting for my friends. It was annoying waiting for them; I wanted to see my results and get it over and done with, but their queues would have been bigger because they didn't come join me near the front. Anywho, we finally opened them, and all got into our top choices! Happy days! Next step was to go out to Newcastle to take advantage of the Results Day freebies. Only we couldn't. Most of them were lies.

The first freebie we got was the Urban Outfitters free photo-booth strip, and they also made a keychain for us, but I think anyone could have done the photo-booth, as they said the system was overridden for the day. All you had to do was press the "ok" button - easy as pie! I will be scamming with that next year.

Our next stop was Krispy Kreme - we had tried for GCSEs and gotten rejected, so we thought we would try again for A-Levels. Rejected again. It was only for university graduates in May. Oh well, I can try again in 5-ish years!

Another 'freebie' which actually worked was the Nando's "spend £8 and get a free starter or 1/4 chicken", which was absolutely delicious, and also came really quickly! We tried not to eat so much food to save room for our next, and final, freebie stop. Kaspas.

For anyone who is cursed enough to not know what Kaspas is, it's the most beautiful dessert shop with the most delicious and fattening-ly sweet menu. I was stuck between a chocolate waffle and plain cookie dough, and I went with the cookie dough. We saw online that they did 40% off for any order over £20, so we were super excited! We got to the counter to only be disappointed. The discount is a LIE. Though we do get a consolation 10% student discount, which I didn't know was a thing! I'll have to take more advantage of that in future. We then had a 50-minute wait for the train.

It wasn't all bad, though. Yes, it was annoying that most of the freebies didn't work, but I had a great time with my friends celebrating our success and shopping for when we start university! I bought a new jumper, cardigan, and cap. I also had a Hollister parcel coming that day with a jumper, Talia top, and skirt - they were all very cute, and I bought them in hopes of me being able to wear them to university! So, thankfully, I'll be able to. The jumper I bought whilst out was also another variant of the one I had ordered online. I also ended up buying a third version of that jumper on Results Day, as I was given some money from family for my results. I was, and still am, so pleased!

When I went home, I immediately started clearing out my wardrobe to make space for my new pieces, and also to hopefully gain back some money for university, even if it's only a little bit. Though, I already spent a bit more money today whilst volunteering, as at the Barnardo's charity shop I'm at, there were two Hollister tops and a Stradivarius top they were going to donate, so I asked to buy them. My manager was nice enough to give them to me half price! I only wanted one, was debating the other, and wanted to sell the last, but now I'm set on selling two. It was only £4.33 for all three, and I thought it was good of me to give money to the shop I work at - I have never seen Hollister in the charity shop before (or Stradivarius for that matter), so I was pleased with the purchase! I hope I can get a couple of bob for the two pieces I want to sell, along with everything else!

So, overall, I would say I had a very successful Results Day. I even made a fun little video about me getting onto the Newcastle pharmacy course, and I've had loads of girls texting me about them joining too! I'm so excited; hopefully I'll be able to stay friends with them during my course, or at least keep in contact with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment